Advice for Visitors to Canada

Canadian Visitor Tax Refund

Canadian Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program (FCTIP)

After you visit our beautiful country, don’t forget to get some of your money back! As an international tourist or non-resident, you may be eligible for a tax refund on the GST/HST you paid on short-term accommodations and/or camping accommodations included in an eligible tour package.

  1. Royal Canadian Mounted PoliceYou must spend a minimum of $200 Canadian before taxes on a tour package to be eligible for a tax refund (the cost cannot include property and services included in the tour package that are not subject to tax, such as overseas transportation services).
  2. Non-residents or visitors who wish to claim a refund of the Goods and Services Tax (GST) and/or the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) cannot receive a refund on goods they exported from Canada.
  3. A refund cannot be claimed without a valid receipt or invoice with the amount of GST/HST paid on the tour package.
  4. You have one year from when the tax was paid (or when the invoice was due, whichever comes first) to file your claim.
  5. You may not claim any purchases made in Duty Free shops.
  6. If you are a foreigner who is currently residing at a Canadian address, you may not claim any tax refunds.
  7. You must be a non-resident of Canada when the rebate is filed.
  8. You did not purchase the eligible tour package for any resale business purposes.
  9. You must provide the rebate application along with a detailed description for the eligible tour package(s), including the number of nights of accommodation in Canada.
  10. Of the GST/HST paid, 50% of the taxes can be claimed.

Copy the following address: Summerside Tax Centre,
275 Pope Road, Summerside PE, C1N 6A2, CANADA. While travelling, keep all eligible receipts and upon your return home, send your receipts and completed application signed and dated.

For more information: please visit the Foreign Convention and Tour Incentive Program (FCTIP) website.
To download the application form: please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website.