Advice for Visitors to Canada

Chinese Visiting Canada

Residents of China wishing to visit Canada must obtain the proper visa in order to enter the country. Since China is home to 1.3 billion people, there are several locations where one can get information, assistance in completing their application and submitting it. There are three main Canadian Embassies, Beijing, Hong Kong and Shanghai, and several Visa Application Centres. It is important that Chinese visiting Canada submit their applications to the proper office to avoid delays in processing.

Temporary Resident Visas
Chinese Visiting Canada Individuals from China who wish to visit Canada on a temporary basis are required to obtain a temporary resident visa. This includes Chinese visiting Canada to see family and friends, those studying at a Canadian institution for less than six months, a person on a short business trip, or someone travelling through Canada to another destination. A temporary resident visa does not allow visitors to obtain employment within Canada.

Chinese Visiting Canada for School
Chinese students wishing to come to Canada to pursue studies that will require them to stay for more than six months must apply for a study permit and undergo a medical examination. Study permit applications and all required supporting documents, including fees may be submitted to either the Beijing or Hong Kong offices for processing. It is recommended that all study permit applications be submitted at least three months prior to the commencement of classes in order to ensure that the candidate does not miss any important dates should the application present problems in processing.

Where to Go to Apply for a Visa
Some visa offices have restrictions, and certain visa applications can only be submitted at specific locations:

Chinese visiting Canada for any reason may submit their applications to the Canadian Embassy located in Beijing. This particular office services individuals from the People’s Republic of China, The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea and Mongolia, as well as people hailing from other provinces and territories that were legally admitted to China, and need visas to travel to Canada.

Hong Kong
The Canadian Consulate General located in Hong Kong processes all types of visa applications, and services those who reside in The People’s Republic of China, as well as Hong Kong and Macao. Applicants who use the services at the Hong Kong office may be required to attend an interview.

The Canadian Consulate General office in Shanghai will accept only certain types of applications, including those for temporary resident visas, work permits, and travel documents. It does not accept applications for study permits. The Shanghai office services the region of Shanghai, as well as the provinces of Jiangsu, Anhui and Zhejiang. Note that only in-person applications are accepted at this location. All applications submitted by mail must be directed to the Beijing or Hong Kong office.

Working Arrangement Holiday
The Canadian Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Hong Kong, effective March 2010, allowing qualified individuals aged 18 to 30 from Hong Kong and Canada to travel to each other’s countries to work and visit for the duration of one year. Eligibility and application information will be available soon on The Canadian Government website.

Super Visa Insurance
Chinese visiting relatives in Canada
As of December 1, 2011 Parents and Grandparents from China can visit their relatives in Canada using the Super Visa. This visa allows parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to visit Canada for up to two years. Visitors may make multiple trips without applying for a new entry visa. See more on the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa.